Wednesday 14 April 2010

David Cameron: weak and irresolute

In this excellent, gentle destruction of David bleedin Cameron and his bullshitty "invitation to join the government" yesterday, David Hare says, "Cameron has charm." He then quotes Somerset Maugham: "Charming people are generally weak and irresolute, charm is the weapon nature gives them to cope with their disadvantages; I never could set much trust in anyone who had it." Exactly.
I'm not taking anything for granted, of course, but the number of Labour and Lib Dem posters up in my area (Islington) has made me feel quite hopeful that Cameron will not get in next month. Or maybe I just can't cope with imagining that grim possibility. (I grew up in the Thatcher years; they were shit.) The Labour party have royally pissed me off (Iraq, bankers) but they do care about the health service and education. I don't think David Cameron cares about anything except his posh mates and getting elected. Neither of these things is a good motive for running the country. Gordon Brown is a Decent Bloke; David Cameron is an Eton careerist. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment